Sunday 4 February 2007

Going Topless?


All my life I’ve been planning on buying a really nice car, in the 1970’s as a young boy in shorts the Ford Capri fascinated me. As I grew older and wiser my taste switched to Honda NSX and when I became more financially conscious the MR2 was seen as a more reasonable option.

Unfortunately the car never made it to the top of the priority list, as I had to follow the typical Pakistani fast track plan to keep our “jawaan mundha” on the straight track. Saving up for a marriage, a deposit for a house, an extension for the house and other family matters always took precedence and working a 9 to 5 job there was very little cash remaining at the end of the month.

So there I was driving my trusted motor, a Toyota which for Pakistanis is the number one and most trusted brand of motor vehicle in the whole universe. This manufacturer has passed the taxi driver test in the UK with the Avensis, the endurance test by the Taliban with the Hilux, and the performance/adaptability test by the Pakistani drivers and mechanics on the GT road with the Corolla model.

My car never gave me any thrills, it was like riding a work horse….or even a donkey. Gets you from A to B, is a relatively cheap mode of transport but doesn’t send the adrenalin rushing…what I desperately needed was a thoroughbred racing horse….a beast of an animal with fine muscular looks, and the power to sprint away into the sunset at the slighest pull of the reins. I wanted an Audi A4 convertible!!

The desi take on this,
“Mundha is phagal!”

"Why German ? hey what is wrong with Toyota ? Avensis has sunroof, why you want whole roof off ? you will always catch head cold !!"

“How much? !!!! And you get a fabric roof – you are being ripped of mate !!”

“Why you want this expensive gaddi ?….buy another house, look at Bashir he is a taxi driver and has three houses and a koti in Pakistan. He is an "unpar mangethar" and you are Masha-Allah educated professional office boy….you should have more to show”

WOW……I never expected so much resistance, come on I’m a forty year old just wanting to enjoy life…I don’t smoke, drink, or womanise at least let me have savour some thrills in a car. I just want to go topless in a new convertible A4, put on my shades, play some Atif Aslam tracks and take the scenic route to work. Is that too much to ask ?

No comments: