Sunday 18 March 2007

Bob Woolmer rip



Today I learnt the tragic news that Bob Woolmer, the Pakistani cricket coach passed away. This is shocking news and I'm deeply saddened to hear this, for me a passionate Pakistani cricket supporter the whole weekend has been a very sad affair. Firstly the loss to Ireland and early exit from the 2007 world cup, and now the death of Bob Woolmer.

I met Bob in a hotel lobby in Islamabad in December 2005, and although he was checking out and about to board a flight he was very courteous to offer me an opportunity to take some photos with him. I will treasure these images very dearly as in my opinion Bob was an excellent coach who tried his best to guide a volatile Pakistani side that were capable of great things but tended to excel in underachieving. He will be deeply missed by the cricketing world.

Reading Bob’s web site it quotes

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
Today is the present – a gift to make the most of

How true these wise words echo, “Today” is a gift so treasure and cherish the moment.

Finally as Pakistan start to rebuild their side after this abysmal world cup performance, I hope they will learn from the unrivalled passion and professionalism displayed by Bob Woolmer. A native Englishman, he admired the incredible talent on display in the Pakistan camp and worked extremely hard to harness it.

No comments: